Welcome to our Blog-recently revamped to reflect the changes in our family. :) I'm thinking the new blog will focus on the adventures of our little family of three, with the star being of course, our little "Noah-Bean".

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Nesting

Nursery planning is soo difficult! I had no idea. I have found it to be similar to wedding planning. There is so much pressure to get everything just right, especially when you have waited as long as Rob and me. I look at furniture, bedding and artwork online daily-literally. I go back and forth between getting just the "bare bones" essentials and designing a beautiful room like the one that's been in my imagination for so many years. The hard thing about adopting is you obviously don't know about gender, but you also have no idea about due date or even exact age of the baby. (Rob and I are open to adopting babies up to a few months old.)

I thought going to the baby stores and looking at things in person would help. Not so much. I had a total anxiety attack looking at all those things and having no idea what I actually will need. (How many blankets?? It seems like each blanket is designated for a specific purpose! Mind blowing.) I also had this feeling like I didn't belong, kind of like I snuck in the back door of a very exclusive club to which I wasn't invited. All of this was in my mind, of course; people were very kind. The other difficult question is about registering. When you're pregnant, this is a no brainer. When you're adopting, the issue is much more complicated. Everyone is very sensitive to the unknowns of the process. Family doesn't want to plan a big, elaborate shower and then have something happen. You know what I'm referring to-the possibility that things don't go according to plan. We'll just leave it at that. So, we will probably have more of a meet and greet when Baby Baker is safely in our arms and legally ours. Hard part is, we'll probably be caring for Baby Baker way before then. We'll have to have all the appropriate blankets, right?? But more than having the items that we need, the Baby Shower is also a time when other family members, other mothers usually, gather around the expecting mother. They offer advice, love and support. I am so blessed in this area. I have so many wonderful mothers (family and friends) that consistently offer their love and support. I'm so grateful for this. I think the blog has served as my way of having that need met, too.

So here we are-cribless and blanketless, trying to determine what next steps to take. For now, I think we'll focus on priming the room we finished off (no paint yet since we don't know about fabrics in the room) and installing new floors. Hopefully, we'll make some decisions soon, and can start posting some pics!

7 comments:

  1. Baby Baker will have us...everything is just stuff. 20 years from now our child will not remember what color the walls were or what type of flooring they had...only that we were their parents and loved them. We are ready for this and you will be an amazing mother. I love you!! Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. awe....what a wonderful husband! and he is so right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and.... the baby will more likely be in your room more than it's own anyway :) mine's 5 and it's still the case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joelle, that's too funny! That's what my sis -in-law said. She said that I should focus some time on preparing the "nook" in my bedroom that he'll be sleeping in for an indefinite amount of time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Beth, Your baby won't need blankets because of all the pillows! Just kidding....we all know that hazards of pillows and babies! I have every confidence that you and Rob will be able to figure out which blankets to use. I had my kids 18 years ago and I don't remember there being lots of different kinds of blankets. My babies were born in the stone age!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kathy! You're not the first to remind me about no pillows in the crib! I'm sure they'll be placed all over the nursery, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can get boppy pillows too! They are supposedly for nursing, but they didn't help me at all, and it's Ethan's favorite pillow to this day! He loves to put it around his waist as his "indertude", and he loves to prop up in it! Yeah for more pillows!!! And, to what Rob said, it is so true...we never did a "nursery" for either kiddo, just painted neutral colors and put up artwork after their arrival (I didn't find out for either boy) to really personalize it to them! For me that was even more fun, and a lot less stressful--Owen's room just recently was finished, and he's 15 months! Just enjoy every minute--I'm sure it's stressful, exciting, frustrating, etc all at the same time--but the end result is worth waiting for, just as you mention so elequently!

    ReplyDelete